Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Interview With Evan Gunville!



J*star: So Evan tell the people about yourself

Evan Gunville: I'm Evan, The guy people knew, but never KNEW in school. Until I started getting my name out there with my photography, Not a whole lot of people knew who I was. I started shooting back in 06'. I took a intro to photo class. Loved it, so I went on to Photo school to learn more. This is what I want to do in life, make it big doing what I love.


J*star: Oh ok so where do you go to school now?

Evan Gunville: Right now I'm going to Grand Canyon University in N. Phx. But I don't plan on staying there. I'm thinking Scottsdale Community next year, then off to Chicago or NYC to hopefully go to Columbia U.

J*star: Already thinking about the future, that's good! So in the long run photography will be a career?

Evan Gunville: Ya I'm thinking that's the way I want to go. I've also thought about taking the safe route. You know, the business or marketing way. But that seems too cliche and personally I can't see myself completely happy doing it. The whole "office" atmosphere isn't really my thing.



J*star: Hey now I work in the office and its not THAT bad ha! So what sort of equipment and software do you use on your photos?

Evan Gunville: It's just not my thing. I currently shoot with a Nikon D50. Nothing special. But does the trick. On location shoots I've got my camera, a tripod, and sometimes a sheet to defuse light, and a white poster board to reflect light. After the shoot I load the images into my Portable hard drive. From there I use Adobe Bridge to sift through the images and Photoshop CS3 to edit. Depending on the shoot I have other programs. I try and stay up on the latest software. Which reminds me CS4 just came out.

J*star: For those just getting into photography, a lot of times those people don't know if they should buy a cannon or a Nikon. What would you suggest?

Evan Gunville: haha the age old question. Honestly it's all about personally preference. I suggest they research everything about the camera's they are looking at and pick which ones fits their needs. I decided to buy the Nikon because it was cheap and used haha. I didn't know at that point I wanted to do it as a career.
J*star: So tell us where are some of your favorite location to take pictures?

Evan Gunville: Defiantly the city! Some of my best images are taken in the City. I also love shooting studio but on location shoots present fun lighting challenges and it's already furnished haha

J*star: Sounds like the city can really bring a photo to life then. Whats some of the cities you have done work in?

Evan Gunville: I shot in Springfield, Illinois this past summer with the amazing Rose Turner for her collection, Rose~Mae Designs. I've recently done some work in Chandler with FORD model, Jeff Gleason and in Downtown Phoenix with J*Star again. I'm headed to Philly this winter. I'm hoping to arrange a few shoots while I'm there.

J*star: Seems you've been a busy man. Is there anyone you haven't had the chance to work with yet that you would like to in the future?

Evan Gunville: A ton. haha But I really want to work with some more FORD models and also do some more work for magazines. I'm shooting with FORD model Lauren Lostamo coming up here pretty soon. Should be pretty fun.

J*star: With all this in the works what do you hope people will take away from viewing your work?

Evan Gunville: I hope they see that a lot of hard work and time goes into each shoot. I want them to see that I'm not just another "photographer" like everyone else these days. I feel I have my own personal style and I want people to recognize it. I want my work to become a "household name" in a sense. When someone see's my work I want them to know the it's a Evan Taylor Gunville piece.

J*star: Ok here goes a random one for you Evan, if you could go anywhere in the world to take photos where would you go and why?

Evan Gunville: That's tough. I really want to go back to Brazil and shoot there but Paris, London, Barcelona, Rome, even Tokyo. They are all places I want to shoot in at some point. They are the Major Cities of the World.
J*star: Ok Evan well its been a pleasure speaking with you today! Do you have any shout outs or special thanks you'd like to give?

Evan Gunville: Thank you to photo teacher and mentor Mrs. Sue Wright. also to those who help me all along the way including, J*Star for being a great model and support, Kaylee Renda for always being there to do make-up and styling shoots, to all my models and those who follow my work. and Aren't I suppose to thank my parents? haha But seriously they are a great support and critiquer's.

1 comment:

DREW-LOSKI said...

That Interview was pretty sick!I swaer it looked 3d to me though!